Filling or replacing a position in any organization takes time and money. As we all approach the busy summer months it is even more important to be prepared with appropriate staff to provide the quality pet care services we promise our clients.
Your time as a business owner is valuable so you don’t want to be distracted with unnecessary HR issues. Making good hiring decisions is the first step toward insuring the necessary staff to accomplish your business goals.
Tips for attracting the best employees:
Hire Proactively. Don’t wait until you are desperate for help.
- Great Advertising. Is your help wanted ad written in an engaging manner that will attract positive and enthusiastic employees?
- Treat Applicants Well. Treat new applicants like you would a prospective client. Why should would they want to work for you?
- Make it a Priority. Make the time to screen and interview applicants.
- Invest in the Future. View the hiring process as an opportunity to take your business to the next level with new enthusiastic and motivated employees. Bad hires will cost you more in the long run.
- Just a Job? Ask yourself prior to making an offer does the applicant want just a job or do they really want to work for the company.
We are all busy with the day to day interruptions of our businesses. However, hiring the right people is imperative to free up your valuable time. Don’t make quick and hasty hiring decisions. Look ahead and prepare for your hiring needs. Don’t be afraid to hire or schedule a little more labor than you might actually need, particularly at your peak season. Undoubtedly, someone will suddenly get sick or decide this just isn’t the position for them even when this is the time you need them the most. Don’t get caught short handed and forced into making poor decisions or settling; it will cost you in the long run.