One of the biggest struggles for facility owners is recruiting and retaining staff to address the businesses seasonal needs. For many of you the interviewing and hiring process may be viewed as an interruption. I used to think this until I was tired of filling in and doing the day to day work. I quickly realized I couldn’t grow the business if I was performing the daily tasks. This took a change of mind set and viewing recruiting as an opportunity. It is an opportunity to grow to bring in the best staff to get the work done so you don’t have to.
Here are a few tips to help in the recruiting process:
1. Recruiting should be on going, don’t wait until you have a need.
2. Use inexpensive consistent forums to promote your career opportunities.
- Have a career page on your web-site
- Post Job openings on Craigslist.org
- Check with local colleges, many will add you to the student newsletter or post a job in the career office.
- Contact local grooming school, students or recent graduates might be looking for part-time or seasonal work
- Offer a referral program to your employees for referring family members & friends.
3. Phone Screening
- Have a few basic questions that you ask each candidate.
Example: If week-end shifts are mandatory make sure you qualify that prior to inviting them for an interview. Your time is valuable!
4. Make time for interviews – see them as an opportunity
- Good hiring will save you time and money in the long run
5. Check references and do background checks
- A bad hire will cost you more in the long run.
6. New employees will be more successful with a structured training schedule.
- New employees will feel lost without guidance in the beginning.
- Don’t forget simple things like “Where is the bathroom”, “Where should they park”
- Have a training schedule planned
Most importantly always make your new staff feel welcome!